Illa de Mozambiquesits off Mozambique's north coast. It's connected to the mainland by a bridge. Portuguese colonial structures in Stone Town, the northern half of the island, include the Chapel of Nossa Senhora de Baluarte. The 16th-century Fort of São Sebastião crowns a headland nearby. The Palace of São Paulo is a former governor's home with a museum. Thatched-roof Macuti houses dot the south of the island.
The exceptional mixture of the architecture on the island shows diverse Arab, Indian, and Portuguese influences. The island's attractions include the Chappel of Nossa Senhora de Baluarte, build in 1522 and is considered as the oldest European building in the southern hemisphere. The