Maputo - Area Information
Maputo, Maputo, Mozambique
Formerly the famed Lorenco Marques, Maputo
is an enchanting city of wide Acacia and Jacaranda lined avenues and tall buildings overlooking the bay and the Indian Ocean. It has a relaxed pace and friendly atmosphere with many pavement cafes dotted through out the city.
One of the city’s more fascinating features is a remarkable wealth of architecture making it one of the most unique and beautiful cities in Africa.
is organised on a grid system making it easy to find your way around to the Maputo Hotel Accommodation
. The best way to see the city is by car or minibus and can be organised by most of the Maputo Hotels
, they can also furnish you with a map and information.
How to get to Maputo
- By Plane, all flights arrive at Mavelane International Airport
. Pick ups can be arranged by hotels you area staying at and there are taxis available to take you to the city, +/- 15 minutes away.
By Car Maputo
is accessible by tar road from Komatipoort (SA) 100km & Swaziland 60km. Please note there is no unleaded fuel North of Maputo.
There are also buses daily from Johannesburg, Pretoria and Durban.
Things to see in Maputo:
The Cathedral Built
- in 1944 this unusual building is in the shape of a cross.
- The grandeur of Portuguese colonial days is exhibited in this neo classical building.
Samora Machel Statue
- A bronze statue of the first president standing at Tunduru Gardens entrance.
Tunduru Gardens Designed
in 1885 they provide a welcome shady respite from the city streets.
- A unique prefabricated building made of steel erected in 1892, designed by Eiffel.
- Designed by Eiffel in 1910, it will take you back to the romantic age of rail travel.
- One of Maputo’s oldest buildings is currently a military museum.
- Amazing mural of the struggle for independence.
The Margina -
Palm fringed coast road leading to the fishing village.
- Natural History, Geological, Revolution, Money, Art, something for everyone!
Markets Arts and Crafts (Saturdays only), Central for everything, Xipamanine for traditional medicine.